As Chief Scientist of Western Australia, Professor Klinken (pictured above) believes Australia is at an important juncture and needs to embrace the rapid changes globally to continue to be a world leader in science. He writes that science affects virtually every aspect of our lives, has been crucial to WA's development and is essential for our future.
The article Science the Key to Prosperity was published on Tuesday 24 May 2016 and was the first in a series of opinion pieces to be published in The West Australian by the Chief Scientist of Western Australia.
The Chief Scientist of Western Australia provides advice on topics that are important to the future of science in Western Australia.
He reports directly to the Minister for Science and provides independent, external advice to the State Government on:
• Science and innovation in Western Australia.
• Broadening the economy through science.
• Developing science industries in the State.
• Promoting Western Australia as a science leader in the Asia-Pacific region.
The Chief Scientist works closely with the Office of Science and plays a key role in:
• Enhancing collaboration locally, nationally and internationally.
• Attracting Commonwealth and industry investment into Western Australian science.
• Building leading-edge scientific capacity in the State.
• Promoting science policies and initiatives at meetings across academia, industry, Government and the community.
• Acting as an ambassador for science, helping the State Government raise public awareness of the importance of science.
For further information regarding Science, Innovation and Technology in Western Australia, please contact Wendy Yorke, Trade and Investment Manager, Government of Western Australia European Office at email@example.com