Role: Frankfurt based Director Investment and Trade
WAGO (Government of Western Australia European Office) is Western Australia’s international trade and investment office located in London. The role is to strengthen collaboration and facilitate relationships between companies and institutions in Europe, the UK, Israel, and Western Australia (WA). Led by the Agent General, a diplomatic position established 125 years ago, the Western Australian Government Office (WAGO) has a team of highly skilled and proactive officers working across energy, mining, defence, infrastructure, agriculture, wine, education, science, innovation, and technology sectors. WAGO’s objective is to grow and diversify the WA economy through strong overseas networks.
The Frankfurt Office is a spoke office established within the United Kingdom/Europe Hub of the Western Australian International Investment and Trade Office Network.
We are seeking a motivated and talented individual to appoint as The Director Investment and Trade, Frankfurt. This person will support the Agent General, providing direction and guidance to the Frankfurt office to support the promotion of investment and trade strategies and activities for Western Australia.
This role requires significant experience in and/or high level understanding of the trade and investment activities in the priority industry sectors in Western Australia and Australia for the German market.
The ideal candidate will have experience facilitating knowledge sharing across political, commercial and industrial sectors, ideally in Western Australia and Germany.
He/she will be able to apply conceptual and critical thinking skills to analyse and resolve complex issues to achieve strategic objectives and identify new opportunities for business and economic development.
The successful candidate will have a strong ability to build networks and develop collaborative relationships internally and between industry, Government, community and other stakeholders.
He/she will have a strong ability to lead a team through empowering and encouraging them to take responsibility and achieve results.
He/she will be a highly motivated team member who, desirably, is fluent in written and spoken English and German.
The Director Investment and Trade will have the following areas of responsibility:
- Together with the Agent General, develop and deliver investment attraction strategies to promote WA in Germany as a location for foreign direct investment and business development across priority industry and growth sectors.
- Support WA companies seeking to develop significant trade and investment opportunities in Germany.
- Initiate, plan and manage activities to generate interest and awareness of the investment and business development potential for WA businesses in Germany.
- Schedule and participate in events, conferences, exhibitions, presentations, roadshows and meetings in Germany on behalf of the Agent General to promote the State’s interests in targeted centres and sectors in Germany.
- Represent the Western Australia Government Office (WAGO) and the Agent General as required, including at formal visitations.
- Develop and maintain relevant high-level professional networks and relationships in the German and WA markets for the benefit of WA businesses, agencies, institutions, and organisations.
- Utilise networks and relationships to facilitate business relationships between WA and German agencies, institutions and companies.
- Maintain up to date knowledge and appreciation of the respective WA and German political and economic profiles and issues that influence corporate development and through the Agent General keep WA agencies and institutions appraised accordingly.
- Supervise, mentor and develop other staff in the Frankfurt office.
- Significant experience in and/or high-level understanding of the trade and investment activities in the priority industry sectors in Western Australia and Australia for the German market.
- Experience facilitating knowledge sharing across political, commercial and industrial sectors, ideally in Western Australia and Germany.
- The successful applicant must be a highly motivated team member who, desirably, is fluent in written and spoken English and German.
- Applies conceptual and critical thinking skills to analyse and resolve complex issues to achieve strategic objectives and identify new opportunities for business and economic development.
- Builds networks and develops collaborative relationships internally and between industry, Government, community and other stakeholders.
- Leads teams through empowering and encouraging them to take responsibility and achieve results
- Applicants must be legally authorised to live and work in Germany at the time of appointment.
- This position is based in Frankfurt and does not attract a relocation package.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online via: Director Investment and Trade (jobs.wa.gov.au).
To apply you are required to provide:
- a brief covering letter (2 – 3 pages) demonstrating your skills and experience to meet the job requirements by using the capabilities in your response; and
- a detailed CV including the names of two referees, with a current line manager preferred.
Due to the large volume of responses, we are unable to respond to each applicant. If you don’t hear from us, please assume that your application has not been successful.
Applications close on 21 April 2023 at midday Perth time.
See also: Job Description Form