Role: Business Development Manager
WAGO (Government of Western Australia European Office) is Western Australia’s international trade and investment office located in London. The role is to strengthen collaboration and facilitate relationships between companies and institutions in Europe, the UK, Israel, and Western Australia (WA). Led by the Agent General, a diplomatic position established 125 years ago, the Western Australian Government Office (WAGO) has a team of highly skilled and proactive officers working across energy, mining, defence, infrastructure, agriculture, wine, education, science, innovation, and technology sectors. WAGO’s objective is to grow and diversify the WA economy through strong overseas networks.
The Frankfurt Office is a spoke office established within the United Kingdom/Europe Hub of the Western Australian International Investment and Trade Office Network.
WAGO is seeking a motivated and talented individual to appoint as Business Development Manager, in the Frankfurt office, to support the Agent General by playing a key role in identifying, developing and promoting business development opportunities in Germany and Europe for Australian companies, as well as attracting investment from Germany to Australia.
- Contribute to the delivery of international opportunities through researching and identifying trade and investment opportunities for Western Australian (WA) Government and the private sector in WA.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships and networks with Government officials and business communities of Germany and in WA.
- Respond to requests for information from businesses and the Agent General.
- Participates in promoting the State and the State’s priority sectors to stakeholders.
- Undertake industry and market analysis by means of research to identify potential value addition, trade and investment opportunities for WA.
- Identify trade and Investment opportunities in Germany and provide support for WA businesses.
- Assist and coordinate inbound official visits, trade mission programs and major business seminars/exhibitions that promote WA products and services.
- Research significant developments in the economic and business environment that impacts on the WA and WA business interests and prepare briefs and supporting documents.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the WAGO systems and business planning.
- Demonstrate effective leadership and integrity by complying with the Departmental Code of Conduct and all Policies and Procedures.
Essential Job Requirements
- Experience in business development or international trade and market development in Germany.
- Experience conducting research and analysis across political, commercial and industrial sectors.
- Strong professional networks and experience across one or more of the Diversify WA priority sectors (energy, mining & METs, defence industries, space industries, ICT & cyber including cybersecurity, innovation & start-ups, health and medical life sciences, investment)
- Ability to build relationships with key industry and business stakeholders, government and networks.
- Fluency in English and German desirable (verbal and written).
- Undertakes research and analysis of information to meet client needs and identifies new opportunities for business development.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative and cooperative relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, including government and industry
- Takes responsibility for actions and decisions and delivers work at a high standard.
- Writes fluently in a range of styles and formats.
- Prepares and presents messages clearly and confidently and adjusts to the audience.
- Applicants must be legally authorised to live and work in Germany at the time of appointment.
- This position is based in Frankfurt and does not attract a relocation package.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online via: Business Development Manager
To apply you are required to provide:
- a brief covering letter (2 – 3 pages) demonstrating your skills and experience to meet the job requirements by using the capabilities in your response; and
- a detailed CV including the names of two referees, with a current line manager preferred.
Due to the large volume of responses, we are unable to respond to each applicant. If you don’t hear from us, please assume that your application has not been successful.
Applications close on 21 April 2023 at midday Perth time.
See also: Job Description Form